Egan Nelson LLP (E/N)
is a top-tier boutique law firm serving emerging and established Tech & CPG companies in the country's top emerging ecosystems *outside* of Silicon Valley. E/N has been built from the ground up by top-tier ECVC & M&A Partners and Senior Attorneys from AmLaw 100 firms who were fed up with having their practices burdened with institutional overhead that their clients simply don't need. We're showing the market how to deliver lean and scalable world class legal counsel with lower overhead, but not lower standards. Our attorneys and paralegals earn compensation highly competitive with the AmLaw 100, at rates hundreds of dollars per hour lower than BigLaw, and with humane billable requirements and flexible work arrangements that ensure excellent quality of life.
- Junior to Mid-Level Emerging Companies and Venture Capital Attorney position. Experience assisting with private-company corporate transactions required. Experience in an Emerging Companies and Venture Capital practice preferred but not required
- T20 law school graduate, or exceptional (Top 5%) performance at a T50 law school.
- At least 1 year experience working at an AmLaw 200 firm required. No exceptions.
- Options to work from firm office or remotely from home, depending on your preference. We are a "remote first" law firm that combines more conventional offices with a distributed team of lawyers that prefer more control over their schedules and work environment. We use leading edge collaboration technology to get work done seamlessly across our distributed team, while respecting personal autonomy and work-life balance.
- Preferable markets: Austin, Seattle, Denver, Boston, NYC, and Washington D.C., but we are generally location agnostic (excluding California) and will cover the cost of a private co-working office if the attorney prefers to work in an office environment.
- Hours and work schedule are flexible, with a culture that heavily prioritizes work-life balance, and compensation competitive with AmLaw 100 firms. Partner-track billable hour expectations are 1600-1800 hours per year.
- E/N generously rewards origination and client management, including for non-partners. Our lean platform has proven extremely successful at helping ambitious ECVC and M&A lawyers with business development, particularly with companies who see traditional law firms as overkill and overpriced.
As a top-tier boutique with a national practice, our compensation is highly competitive with elite firms, while respecting work-life balance. A 3rd year E/N attorney earns $230-260k in annual compensation at full-time hours (1600-1800). A 7th year attorney earns $300-340k. Our rates are also hundreds of dollars an hour below AmLaw 100 standard rates, which dramatically enhances business development.
This position will be particularly appealing to ECVC corporate lawyers who find themselves, in BigLaw, increasingly working on public company work that they are not interested in. E/N does not work on IPOs or SPACs, and rarely represents public companies. Our attorneys stay dedicated to sophisticated private emerging companies work throughout their careers, enabled by our leaner billing rate structure.
Our culture: E/N has grown sustainably and profitably over nearly a decade to address one core issue: both clients and lawyers are tired of having to choose between (i) firms with stratospheric rates and overhead designed for billion-dollar multi-national companies, and (ii) firms completely lacking scalability and credibility. With a top-tier roster of paralegals, attorneys, and partners, and a curated specialist network and technology platform for flexibly delivering "full service," we're building the lean 21st century law firm for emerging companies who need world class counsel, but not the many other costs that traditional law firms package along with it.